Damodar Month (Karthik)
The month of Damodara is very special. Damodara leela happened on the day of Deepavali. Now many of you must be having questions. How can Deepavali be celebrated by Krishna. In Dwapara yuga, Deepavali was celebrated as Victory of Rama over Ravana. So on the day of Deepavali, Yashoda mata was doing so many things. She wanted to do everything before our darling Krishna wakes up. And rest you all know…
Krishna breaks the butter pot and spills everything all over and Yashoda Mata tried to get hold of him and finally ties him to the mortar. She ties him to the mortar with a piece of rope which was always less by two fingers length. Seeing his mother tired and perspiring, Krishna finally gives up and lets her tie him. It was the motherly love of Yashoda mata for which Krishna had given up. He is called as Damodar as he was tied up with a rope on his stomach.
This loving pastime of Damodara is celebrated as Damodara Month (Kartik). It is mentioned in many puranas that whatever one does during this month comes back multifold.
What can we do during this month?
- Read Bhagavad Gita every day.
- Offer Ghee lamp to Damodara Krishna morning and in the evening. Read Damodarashtakam while offering Ghee lamp. Please invite your neighbors while doing this. It is very auspicious. Include all your family members. Make everyone offer one lamp. (Not that one offers and others watch)
- You can do arati to any Picture of Krishna. If possible to the Damodara Krishna.
- Offer deepam to his lotus feet 4 times. Then to his udar (stomach) 2 times and then his beautiful face 3 times.
- Then 7 times for the whole body. (Please watch the video for more clarity)
- Offer Ghee lamp to Tulasi mata both in the morning and in the evening. You can read the below sloka which praying to Tulasi mata 3 times.
- “Vrindayai Tulasidevyai Priyayai Kesavasya cha Krishna (vishnu) bhakti prade devi satyavatyai namo namah”
- Circumbulate around Tulasi mata 4 times. Whenever possible make all your family members participate.
- Offer one Tulasi leaf with chandan on it to Lord Sri Krishna. And chant the names of Tulasi:
- Krishna jivani
- Read the Damodara Lila from Srimad Bhagavatam to get the mood and understand the pastime.
Please do perform Damodar Arati every day.
for Damodara ashtakam and Harati Click here @: achyuthan.com/damodaraashtakam-and-harati.html
Tips : Soak the wicks in ghee and keep it ready. Every day just pick two wicks from it and light the diya. Make sure all your family members participate.